Recovery-Update 5

Sorry for the delay in updating. The first ICU visitation of the day is not until 9 AM. I had breakfast with Elena and my mom (at our house) this morning. Elena is doing great. She asks about Momma but she is not having any separation anxiety. That definitely makes things easier for me.

Katie said that last night ~midnight she was in so much pain that she was wanting to call me to tell me she was dying. They had to call an anesthesiologist. She said they said it would be 25 minutes. She told them she wasn't going to make it that long. Jen - I'm so glad (selfishly) you were up at 2:30 AM praying for her! She said she felt alone and that nobody was praying. I'll be sure to tell her you were up at my next visit :)

She is doing well now. Though there is persistent pain it is "manageable". That's the word of the last day and a half - "manageable". I wish I could take her pain on myself...

Her color is coming back and she is looking much better. Her range of motion is much better in her arms. She is able to scratch her itches, most of them at least. She's acting a little loopy but she understands everything. When I left her they were removing the spinal drain. Please pray that there would be no infection as a result of this drain.

Her surgeon visited with us this morning. He said that they are having to give her some medication that requires her having her own nurse to monitor and administer the dosage. Because of this she'll have to stay in the ICU today.

The goal is to get her out of bed and sitting up in a recliner there in her room. They have her inhaling, once an hour, through a little contraption to help keep her from getting pneumonia. Please pray for that as well.

I'm looking forward to when she is able to move into a regular room so we can share all your comments with her.

Just as I was leaving she asked if I could ask y'all to pray for her attitude and that she would be a light where she is. With all the pain, at times, she's having a hard time maintaining a positive attitude but it helps her to hear from us how well she looks each time and reminder her of the progress she's making.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

Aimee said…
Peter - We are so happy to hear that everything went fine with the surgery but we are very sorry to hear that the pain is so severe. Please tell Katie that we are praying for her continuously and that we love you all. Hang in there! Our thoughts are definitely with you!
Morgan said…
Glad to hear that Elena is doing well. Tell Katie I prayed for her when I was up with Bobby at around 1:30-2!
annie said…
I know she doesn't realize it right now, but Katie truly is such a strong woman. I'm praying for the pain to subside. My thoughts are constantly with y'all. Keep the updates coming!

Loving you guys!
Annie & Devin
Julie said…
Just prayed again for Katie that the pain would subside.
hjwillman said…
Peter, I just found out this week that she'd be having surgery, but when you get a chance please let her know that I have been thinking about her and praying for her a lot. And I will definitely be praying for you that you will be able to be rested and have a real peace throughout this whole recovery time too.
Love,
Heather

Popular posts from this blog

grand opening

upcoming surgery

hurry up and wait... surgery pushed back 1 day!