hurry up and wait... surgery pushed back 1 day!

After 3 hours of sleep (for me) and and hour of sleep (for Peter), we were up and at it for a full day at the hospital. Our long wait to see the surgeon, was followed by some unexpected news. He told us that because of an emergency surgery he was having to do tomorrow (my original surgery date), he needed to push back my surgery until Thursday. It was hard to hear, especially after Peter stayed up all night working, so he could be available to me and I felt I was mentally prepared to go in tomorrow morning. So, the big day is now, Thursday, November 13th.

He continued to tell me some more information about the surgery, in much more detail than he had in previous appointments. I'll arrive at the hospital at 6am and the surgery should start at 7:30am. I'll start to wake up sometime in the afternoon and spend the first night and possibly the second night in the ICU. He will most likely put a catheter in my spinal cord to drain off any fluid, to help minimize the risk of paraplegia. He then went over all the risks of complications including: bleeding, pneumonia, heart attack, and paraplegia, totalling a 10% risk of complication. And then the 2% risk of death. Now my faith is really being tested.... I thought I had been at peace the risks mentioned in earlier appointments, but I started to feel very overwhelmed with the new information. Please pray against all this complications! I know God will protect me, regardless of what happens, He will be with me.

After my appointment with surgeon we walked over to the building where the surgery will take place. Then there was 2 hours of pre-op! After a quick lunch we headed to the lawyer to sign the wills. Needless to say, we're tired. I am thankful to have another day to enjoy playing and tending to Elena. She has been such a source of joy for us in this trial. She has no idea what's going on, but just wants to play and cuddle. She keeps me smiling!

Comments

Ryan "Tank" said…
Hope you guys get some much needed sleep tonight. Let me know if there is anything Christy or I can do. at ANY time. We're in constant prayer for you and for the surgery.

Love you guys!
KelleyMartin said…
Katie and Peter-
Hello from your neighbors just down the street.(#21907) Even though we are neighbors and Katie and I attend the same MOPS group, we had NO idea this was going on. Please accept our apologies for not being the kind of neighbors we should have been. Chris and I will be praying specifically for all three of you, the surgeons, the pain management, and every detail of your recovery. Peter, we know our daughter, Emma Cate, would love to get to play with Elena. So if there is a time, most especially in the next week and the days immediately following Katie's return home, that it would be helpful to you for Elena to come over here for a while, please know that she would be warmly welcomed, anytime!
We will be cheking in with you in the days to come.
We are confident in God, the Great Physician, and in His power to heal!
All God's Best to you,
Kelley and Chris Martin
832-444-6008
Nicci said…
Katie I am praying for you and your family. I know God will reward your faith and see you through.
Erin said…
Y'know, when we were over the other night and the talk of "percentages" came up, I had one dominating thought. I learned a lesson about fear when Reed was travelling. "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." (Ps. 20:7) The Spirit showed me how I may have thought I was trusting him for my safety, but really, how much trust was I putting in Him when I had Reed, locks on the door, an alarm? Even though I had those good things (and still do!), my safety was still in HIS hands.
No matter the percenages, the risks, even the skill of the doctors and nurses...those are all good things, but our trust is ultimately in HIM who has provided you with health thus far all these years. It has always been in His hands, and it will be just as much so on Thursday. Moses said to the Israelites, "Do not be afraid...The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Ex. 14:13-14) I hope that gives you yet more peace.
Morgan said…
That must be so frustrating that they moved the surgery. I am praying for all of you and your extended family. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything. Love you!
Swan Family said…
Katie, We will be praying. Try to get some rest and call if you need ANYTHING!! Have Melissa keep me posted!

Love, Katie
281-690-2368
casey said…
katie,
please know that jason and i are praying for you and your family! you are always on my mind.
and erin--those verses are even encouraging for me! thanks!
Pablo Monroy said…
Iris and I will be praying.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation;he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah."
-Psalm 62:5-8

Trust Him,

Pablo and Iris Monroy
Jenn said…
Katie...hope you have had a relaxing day today. Please know that Zac and I(plus several other family members) will be praying for you, Peter, the doctors and nurses, and your family as you embark on this journey. Please let us know if we can do anything for y'all!
Becky said…
Katie,
Thanks for blogging about your experiences. Your faith and strength are encouraging. We will be praying for God to be in all the little details.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything. I'm close by and would love to help out.

I know that the Lord is holding you and your family in His hands.

Popular posts from this blog

grand opening

upcoming surgery