great report

It's hard to believe over three weeks have past since my surgery. This past week I had my follow up appointment with my surgeon. He said my wound was healing well and that I have very little risk of wound infection or complications at this point. What great words to hear! He has asked to see me again in two months. At that time he will do doppler testing on my legs and feet to see how my blood pressure and circulation has improved since the surgery.

I also went to see my cardiologist. He was excited to tell me that the pulses in my groin are normal! Before surgery they were very faint, so this is a good indicator that my blood is flowing to the southern half of my body with no problems! I had been keeping track of my blood pressure over the two weeks after my surgery and I was able to share those readings with him. He said that at this point, I can continue to go without my blood pressure medicine. Great news!!! I still have high cholesterol, so I'll continue taking fish oil and continue with my Berkeley Heart diet. I may have to take medication later, but because I'm in "childbearing age", he doesn't want to take any chances. He was very excited to see how well I was doing. I am the second case that he as had that has had my particular surgery. I think it must be very rewarding to add years of life to a young person... most of his patients are later in years. I'm thankful that God sent me to this great doctor!

I'm continuing to use Vicodin (and Advil). They are providing good pain relief, but I obviously can't be on them forever. The pain can be intense at the end of a pain pill cycle, but nothing like what I experienced right after surgery. I'm thankful to be getting better every day. My in home physical therapy has stopped and I'm going to continue the strengthening exercises on my own.


My mom and mother-in-law take shifts during the week so I always have someone to help me with Elena. I still won't be able to lift her until January. Elena is adjusting well and her requests for "up" to me are down to one a day. Speaking of Elena, while I was in the hospital she got sick with a cold and last weekend it turned into a sinus infection... poor girl! I hate seeing her sick. She's on antibiotics and seems to be getting better. So Peter has been doing double time on his nursing duties.

Today we made it back to church. I was so ready to be in the presence of my church body and be able to corporately worship God. I know in the past I have taken being able to get up and go to church for granted. Not this morning... I was just so thankful to be there.

The meals keep coming... it's such a blessing to have so many of our friends looking after us in this way. Thank you meal-cookers!!!

I'm so happy to report that my Grandma Laurel is recovering well from her pacemaker surgery. Here within the last couple weeks she has been able to walk much further than she had prior to surgery. We're continuing to pray for her full recovery.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

Comments

Holly said…
Katie, What great news!!! I'm so happy to hear it! I can't wait to see you, my friend! :)Hols
Gina said…
yay for the continued good news. i know you must have felt wnoderful being at church for fellowship. miss you all. love you all.
Erin said…
I was so surprised to see you on Sunday - and so GLAD! You look great!

Popular posts from this blog

grand opening

upcoming surgery

hurry up and wait... surgery pushed back 1 day!